The PreProBono Fellowship is a highly selective one year program that prepares promising public-interest minded students who are in financial need or part of an underrepresented group to gain acceptances into the top law schools in the country.
Our fellows are provided with:
- Unlimited access to comprehensive LSAT instruction from our curriculum sponsor (7sage LSAT)
- Admissions consulting
- A leadership/team building retreat
- Networking/mentorship opportunities with established and rising public interest lawyers
In the “pay it forward” phase of their fellowship, fellows run Weekend Programs and the next year of the fellowship program. For more information on the phases of the fellowship, click here.
* High score on diagnostics, official LSAT score pending
Now in its fifth year, the Fellowship is looking to build on our overwhelmingly positive results. 16 of our 24 Fellows scored in the 80th percentile or higher, with 9 of them achieving scores in the top 10 percent of all LSAT takers. 17 of the 24 students improved by 20 or more percentiles, including 6 Fellows that improved by over 50 percentiles.
“The bottom line is this: instructors are highly knowledgable (as they have been in your shoes before), caring, and nothing short of amazing. You cannot pass up an opportunity to be under their tutelage, because you won’t find anything like this.”
“PreProBono cares about the success of their Fellows and fervently believes in their organization. The sessions are rigorous and they expect a lot from their Fellows, but I never would have achieved my level of insight on the LSAT without them.”
The Fellowship Unfolds in Three Phases
Phase 1 | Summer LSAT Class, LSAT Workshops, & Public Interest Networking | Mid June – Late September
It all begins with the Summer LSAT Class, with over 200 hours of in-class time. Class will be led both virtually (via 7sage.com curriculum) by founder J.Y. Ping (Harvard Law J.D. ‘10) and in-person by Fellow & Instructors Pauline Syrnik and Veronica Salama. Class time will be split between Socratic Method-styled lectures, small group sessions, video instruction, diagnostic tests and quizzes, and intensive diagnostic review. This is the most comprehensive, focused, and fundamentally sound LSAT program available anywhere at any cost. Fellows will be required to demonstrate their mastery of the material by teaching LSAT Workshops during the Summer. These Workshops will allow our Fellows to help others that are similarly situated and broaden the reach of our organization while deepening our their own understanding of the material.
Each Saturday evening, our Fellows will be addressed by a variety of public interest speakers. These speakers, which including practicing attorneys and current law students, will help our Fellows begin building their public interest networks and provide them with insight and inspiration from many facets of the legal world. After a brief presentation, our Fellows and our guest speakers will have the opportunity to interact personally in a more casual setting. A list of previous speakers and their bios can be found here.
Fellows will be required to take the October 2016 LSAT and submit a copy of their score reports to us for verification.
Fellows Summer Schedule
Phase 2 | Law School Application & Admissions Consulting | October 2016
Phase 3 | Furthering the PreProBono Mission | November 2016 – October 2017
Program Requirements & Deposit
- Be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Commit to taking the LSAT in September 2017, and apply to law school by the conclusion of the 2017-2018 application cycle
- Be in financial need (as determined by FAFSA) or a member of an underrepresented minority group
- Complete and submit all application materials by the application deadline
- Be a Junior or Senior in college or already graduated
Accepted students will further be required to:
- Submit a $500 deposit, fully refunded upon satisfactory completion of Phase 3 of the Fellowship
- Sign our Statement of Commitment (description below)
Statement of Commitment
We expect a great deal out of all of our students, and our PreProBono Fellows set the bar for everyone else. Fellows must agree to abide by all program policies. Strict attendance and tardiness policies will apply, participation in class is required, and weekly Workshops must be taught by every Fellow. Fellows must work very hard, be responsive and diligent, and ask questions. Fellows who qualify for our admissions consulting services must utilize them to their fullest potential. Fellows must also take an active part in our weekly public interest networking engagements. In short, we expect our Fellows to fully and actively engage in every aspect of the program made available to them. We reserve the right to revoke Fellowship status at any time if a Fellow is not respecting our investment in them. Revocation of Fellowship status includes a full forfeiture of deposit.
STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT:
PREPROBONO SUMMER FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM 2013
This agreement is executed between PREPROBONO, INC., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (hereafter referred to as “PreProBono”), and ________________________ (hereafter referred to in the first person as “I”). This contract shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York and any applicable Federal Law.
I. PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY:
I certify that I am:
- A US Citizen or Permanent Resident;
- Committed to taking the LSAT in October 2013;
- Applying to law school by the conclusion of the 2013-2014 application cycle;
- In financial need (as determined by FAFSA), or a member of an underrepresented minority group; and,
- Intending on pursuing in a career in the public interest.
II. TERMS OF FELLOWSHIP:
I acknowledge that the following requirements apply to all PreProBono Fellows, including myself:
- Each Fellow will submit a $500 deposit, fully refundable upon satisfactory completion of Phase 1 of the Fellowship.
- Each Fellow will be present and punctual for every class session. Fellows will be given a leeway of two (2) absences and three (3) tardies. If a Fellow will be absent or tardy for any reason, the instructors must be notified at least 24 hours in advance.
- Each Fellow will teach a weekly Workshop at scheduled times to PreProBono Scholars.
- Each Fellow will participate actively in PreProBono’s weekly public interest networking engagements.
- Each Fellow will participate in class, do all assigned homework on time, be responsive to instructor communications, and be proactive and diligent in their studies.
- Each Fellow that is eligible to receive admissions consulting services will utilize them to their fullest potential.
- Each Fellow will make themselves available to assist PreProBono through Summer 2014.
- Each Fellow who scores 170 or higher on the LSAT will return as a volunteer Alumni Instructor to help teach our 2014 Weekend Programs and Summer Fellowship Program.
- Each Fellow will submit a copy of their score report to PreProBono for verification.
- Each Fellow will hold himself or herself to the highest standards of respect and civility, both inside the classroom and out, for the duration of the program.
I agree to abide by all of the terms of fellowship for the duration of the Fellowship Program. I understand and agree that if, in the sole discretion and judgment of PreProBono staff, I am not acting in accordance with the terms of the Fellowship, I am subject to immediate and permanent dismissal from the Fellowship, along with partial or complete forfeiture of my deposit.
I acknowledge that PreProBono makes no promises or warranties with regard to any particular student’s performance as a result of any instruction or advice provided.
IV. RIGHT OF PUBLICITY:
CONSENT, WAIVER OF LIABILITY, AND RELEASE
I irrevocably grant PreProBono and its employees, officers, agents, and assigns the following rights:
- PreProBono may use any photographs taken of me, testimonials obtained from me, and results obtained by me during the course of the Fellowship Program in any educational, fundraising, or promotional materials.
- I relinquish and give to PreProBono all rights, title, and interest I may have in pictures, negatives, reproductions, and copies of original prints and negatives. I may be included in the photographs in whole or in part, in composite or in distorted form, or in reproductions thereof, in color or otherwise, with or without my name, made and published through any medium including, but not limited to, any printed medium, video, and/or the internet.
- I waive any right that I may have to inspect or approve the finished product or the advertising or other material that may be used in connection therewith or the use to which it may be applied.
- This consent authorizes any initial and any subsequent publication or disclosure of these materials, with or without my identity, at any time.
- I release and discharge PreProBono from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form, whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur in the taking of the pictures, or in any processing toward the completion of the finished product.
V. WAIVER OF PERSONAL INJURY LIABILITY
I agree to and hereby release from all liability and hold harmless PreProBono and its employees, officers, agents, and assigns. This liability release is for any and all liability for personal injuries, including death and property losses or damage in connection with any activity or accommodation of PreProBono.
VI. RELAXATION OF TERMS
I agree that no relaxation, indulgence, waiver, or release by any party of any of the rights or terms of this agreement on any one occasion shall prevent the subsequent enforcement of such rights. These instances shall not be deemed to be a waiver of this agreement for any subsequent breach of any of these terms.
VII. WHOLE AGREEMENT
This agreement constitutes the entire understanding between the parties with regard to the PreProBono Summer Fellowship Program, and the parties waive the right to rely on any alleged, expressed, or implied provision not contained within this document. Any alteration to this agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties.
I UNDERSTAND THAT THE TERMS HEREIN ARE CONTRACTUAL AND THAT THIS INSTRUMENT IS LEGALLY BINDING.
I CERTIFY THAT I HAVE VOLUNTARILY SIGNED THIS DOCUMENT, AND HAVE FULLY INFORMED MYSELF OF THE CONTENTS OF THIS DOCUMENT BY READING IT BEFORE SIGNING IT.
I DECLARE THAT I AM EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AND AM LEGALLY COMPETENT TO EXECUTE THIS AGREEMENT.
Full Name (Print)